The resources and information are part of W&J's involvement with the NASPA Civic Learning & Democratic Engagement Lead Initiative.
Is there additional information that you would like to see us host on this page?
E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback.
VOICES FOR SERVICE!
Calling all W&J students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends!
We need your help!
While Congress is in recess this week, please contact your legislators to maintain funding for the FY 2017 federal budget which is currently under a Continuing Resolution. A vote is scheduled for 4/28 and this is the time to reach out to advocate for this important grant.
As you may know, the White House’s FY18 budget was sent to Congress last Friday, March 17. This budget proposes the elimination of the Corporation for National and Community Service which funds Americorps*VISTA and Senior Corps. We need your help!
In Pennsylvania during 2015-2016, 4,180 volunteers gave 35,045 hours of service to our communities through PA Campus Compact’s AmeriCorps*VISTA programs, including Washington & Jefferson College. Additionally, these volunteers provided vital trainings for 1,006 community members, served 3,663 disadvantaged youth, and raised $497,599.71 for community initiatives.
We know how much these programs mean to the residents and community partners that our volunteers serve, right here in our Pennsylvania. As Congress forms their response to this proposal, your legislators need to hear how vital these programs are to you and to your community. PACC has already been granted 30 AmeriCorps*VISTA projects for 2017-18, including at Washington & Jefferson College, but without funding.
Washington & Jefferson College partners with AmeriCorps and Pennsylvania Campus Compact, as well as Jefferson Regional Hospital, to support of Volunteer Community Health Coach Program. to learn more about this program and its amazing success, read our story here. Without the support of CNCS and our partners, this program would not be able to happen.
What can you do?
- Ask your member of Congress to protect national service: Click here to send a message to your members of Congress.
- Share the follow link and the attached FAQ widely with your supporters, community partners, business leaders, mayor, newspaper, members, students, faculty and staff so they can also send support to their Congress members: https://voicesforservice.org/take-action/contact-congress/
- Send a personal note and encourage others to send notes to Pennsylvania members of Congress, the more personalized the better. Here is some background information about National Service http://about.serviceyear.org/save_americorps_media_kit
- Author or co-author an op-ed. You can find talking points and other examples of op-eds at www.voicesforservice.org.
- Ask your mayor, business and/or community leader, volunteer, parent, or other supporter to write a letter to the editor of your local paper
- Prepare a press release outlining what the impact of elimination of funding for national service would mean to your organization or your community. You can find a sample press release you can customize at www.voicesforservice.org.
Please give us some of your time to support the invaluable work of AmeriCorps*VISTA which build up our communities in Pennsylvania through education, economic opportunity, health care, and veterans and military families.
Questions? E-Mail Director of Community Engagement, Justin Dandoy, at email@example.com or call at (724) 503-1001 Ext. 3086.