Sakai provides a listserv function that allows you to email all of the students in your Sakai course site or all of your participants in your Sakai project site. This tool is called the Email Archive Tool. This tool allows the instructors or administrators of the Sakai site to have full control over the use of the tool on a course by course basis (including determining whether students can send emails to the listserv address or just reply back to the sender).
To use the listserv tool in Sakai, you will need to go to your Sakai course site, select the Email Archive tool from the left hand navigation menu, copy the listserv address for your class, and paste that copied address into the To line of a new email message. You may also want to create a contact in the address book for this listserv of the application you use to access your W&J email. Please see below for a screenshot tutorial.
Please note: for this to work properly, you must be sending the emails to the listserv address directly from your W&J email account through Outlook or Outlook Web App (mail.washjeff.edu). Sending emails to a W&J listserv through a proxy such as gmail may result in delivery failures.
- Go to sakai.washjeff.edu and login with your W&J credentials.
- Select the course site you would like to use.
- Access the listerv function by clicking the Email Archive tool from the left-hand navigation menu.
- Copy the listserv address from the Email Archive tool.
- You must first publish your course before sending an email to your course site listserv address. Otherwise, your students will not receive the listserv email.
- Paste the listserv address into the To: line in a new email. Please note: for this to work properly, you must be sending the emails to the listserv address directly from your W&J email account through Outlook or Outlook Web App (mail.washjeff.edu). Sending emails to a W&J listserv through a proxy such as gmail may result in delivery failures.
For more information on how to manage permissions and options for your course listserv, please click the Help button () in the Email Archive tool within Sakai.
If you would like to add additional people to your Sakai site so they can be part of the listserv, please see these instructions for adding official participants to your Sakai site and adding non-official participants to your Sakai site.