- Before beginning the application process, students should consult with their academic advisor and the Office of Study Abroad.
- Make an appointment now!
- Students need at least a 2.5 grade point average to qualify, but some semester-long programs may require a GPA of up to 3.0. Students should have the required GPA at the time of application.
- Students may study off-campus as early as the first semester of their sophomore year, and as late as the first semester of their senior year.
- Students applying to a program in a country where English is not the national language are encouraged to have taken at least elementary courses in the language of the host country; some programs will require intermediate to advanced language ability.
- Students on academic or disciplinary probation or suspension, or with other serious disciplinary violations, are not eligible for off-campus study.
- Students with delinquent financial accounts are not eligible for off-campus study.
- Consult the Office of Study Abroad for specific program eligibility requirements and openings.
- While abroad, students must be registered as a full-time student taking a minimum of 12 Washington & Jefferson College credits
Applications must be received in the Office of Study Abroad by the dates given below. Late applications will not be accepted. All applications will be reviewed immediately following the deadline.
- To study abroad for the fall term or full academic year, students must submit their W&J application by March 1; program applications are due by March 15.*
- To study abroad for the spring term, students must submit their W&J application by September 15; program applications are due by October 1.*
- Note: there is a petition process in place for students wishing to study on a program that is not on the list of approved programs; petitions are due one month prior to the regular study abroad deadlines of March 1 and September 15deadline. Please email the Office of Study Abroad at StudyAbroad@washjeff.edu for information and detailed guidelines. A limited number of petitions will be approved each term.
*A small number of programs have deadlines that are earlier than our normal W&J deadlines. In these cases, individual students who plan to study on these programs will be contacted and provided with a different deadline - one more reason to plan ahead!