Note: Our list of Approved Programs are for semester or year-long study. These are generally not to be used as summer programs.
Student travel funded by W&J but not administered by the study abroad office (e.g. by grants, department funds, endowments) Students are required to enroll in the College’s international health insurance plan at least 30 days before departure.
Students who seek pre-approval for credit transfer relating to study abroad activities not affiliated with Washington & Jefferson College* (e.g.: summer study abroad, and other credit-bearing international experiences outside the normal curriculum) The Office of Study Abroad may be able to facilitate enrollment in the College’s international health insurance coverage. Please inquire about this possibility at least 30 days prior to departure. Please note that enrollment in the College plan in no way implies that W&J endorses the program.
General Guidelines for choosing a study abroad program outside of the approved list:
Items marked with a * are required in order to earn transfer credit.
- The program is accredited*
- The program is affiliated with an institute of higher education and/or is administered by a reputable third-party study abroad provider (IES, CIEE, AIFS, ISA, Athena, USAC, CET, IFSA Butler, etc.) Note that listing these programs does not mean that W&J will automatically accept credit from them. These are just examples.
- The program will provide a transcript for transfer-credit purposes*
- The program provides health and safety information and resources, as well as emergency contacts
- The program provides orientation, housing information, travel and arrival instructions, and pre-departure guidance
- Review our Updated Safety Information before selecting a program.
*students seeking to study abroad for a semester on a program that is not on the approved list can petition for permission to study on an alternate program. The Study Abroad Faculty Advisory Committee has the ability to decide whether permission will be granted. Petition applications are due 30 days before the standard deadlines of March 1 and October 1; full details are available from the Director of Study Abroad.
In either instance, if students hope to receive transfer credit, they must complete the Transfer of Credit Form, consulting the current list of Faculty Approvers as appropriate. Approvals should be secured well in advance of the experience abroad.
In either instance, students should complete the W&J Traveler Information Form and enroll in the US Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at least 30 days prior to departure. Please email a confirmation of your STEP enrollment to StudyAbroad@washjeff. edu. Be sure that your travel is shown under "existing trips." Example STEP confirmation