Child pages
  • Accommodation Process

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

Version 1 Next »


NOTE: Housing accommodation requests are handled differently than the procedure listed below. Students seeking such accommodations must complete the College's Housing Accommodation request form, which is found on W&J's Housing web page.

1. Self-Disclosure or Referral
The College encourages students to self-disclose early in their academic careers, though students may self-disclose at any time. It is recommended that first-year students disclose the summer before the start of the fall term if possible.

To do so, students must contact Dean Sherman, at W&J at 724-223-6008 or Her office is located in the Rossin Campus Center, upper level. She can meet students elsewhere by request.

Services are not retroactive, so early disclosure is essential. Faculty and staff may refer students with suspected disabilities.

2. Submission of Documentation
Students requesting support services and/or reasonable accommodations from Washington & Jefferson College are required to submit a Disability Self-Disclosure form and supporting disability documentation to Dean Sherman. Students should keep copies of this documentation for their own records.

Supporting documentation is required to verify eligibility under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and W&J policies. The student is responsible for obtaining necessary documentation. A school plan, such as an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 Plan, is not sufficient documentation.

3. Review of Documentation
  Dean Sherman will review the documentation.

4. Meeting to Discuss Accommodations
  Dean Shermanand the student will meet to discuss the documentation and recommended accommodations.

5. Accommodation Preparation
Dean Sherman will prepare accommodation request letters on the student's behalf.

6. Student and Instructor Meetings
At the start of the term, the student will hand deliver a recommendation letter to each instructor. The student and instructor will discuss the requested accommodations.

7. Follow-up
Dean Sherman and the student will meet as needed to discuss the student's progress.

Grievance Process
If a student believes that his/her accommodation needs have not been met, he/she should
• speak with the course instructor to address possible misunderstandings and to seek recourse or
• speak to Dean Sherman or
• speak to one of the Deans of Academic Affairs (tel. #724503-1001, ex. 6006)