The Ethics and Compliance Officer provides college-wide oversight and coordination of an institutional ethics and compliance program that promotes the highest standards of ethics, integrity, and responsibility at Washington & Jefferson College.
Responsibilities of the Office
- Develops, coordinates and provides oversight of the College’s Ethics and Compliance Program to assure compliance with legal, regulatory, policy and ethical requirements impacting the College, consistent with higher education emerging best practices.
- Responsible for overseeing institutional compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of the 1972 Civil Rights Act (“Title IX”), the Violence Against Women Act Reauthorization of 2013 (“VAWA”), the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act (“Campus SaVE”), and other related federal and state laws.
- Serves as a point of contact with management to determine when legal advice is warranted and works efficiently and effectively with outside counsel to coordinate legal review of documents.
- Provides oversight of Ethics and Compliance risk assessment.
- Develops, revises as necessary, and monitors implementation of Ethics and Compliance program policies.
- Collaborates with other college resources to provide training and education related to ethical workplace conduct, responsibilities, and leadership.
- Assures that questions and concerns raised are promptly and appropriately addressed.
- Provides oversight of all Ethics and Compliance related investigations, working with outside counsel as needed, including the periodic, independent assessment of the effectiveness of the Ethics and Compliance program.
- Apprises the President and senior staff about the College’s Ethics and Compliance Program; trends, issues, and best practices in ethics and compliance programs.
- Remains relevant and current with Title IX related developments and changes. Keeps abreast with current federal and state laws, regulations, and policies related to discriminatory practices based on sex or gender discrimination.
- Provides oversight for reputational risk and other ethics and compliance related matters that pose a high probability of garnering significant negative publicity or media attention.
Requests for Review
The Ethics & Compliance Officer is dedicated to serving the W&J community by providing support for questions and concerns related to the regulatory environment of the College.
There is no formal process to submit questions or requests for review. If you would like to submit a question or document for review, please include the following information in an email:
- A brief description of the issue or question;
- A list of any essential people or contacts for the issue;
- Copies or drafts of any relevant documents; and
- Any deadlines or related timing issues.
The Ethics & Compliance Officer will respond to all requests in a timely manner.
Meet the Ethics & Compliance Officer
Angela Colorito serves as the Ethics & Compliance Officer at Washington & Jefferson College. Recently, she was the Program Coordinator and faculty in the areas of Legal Studies and Administration of Justice at the University of Pittsburgh, where she also served as a contract analyst in clinical and corporate sponsored research contracts. Angela studied law at Ohio Northern University and completed her undergraduate studies in history and film studies at the University of Pittsburgh.
Angela Colorito (she/her)
Ethics & Compliance Officer
Office: 2nd Floor of McMillan Hall