Basic Requirements and Eligibility
- Before beginning the application process, students should consult with their academic advisor and the Office of Study Abroad.
- Students need at least a 2.5 grade point average to qualify, but some semester-long programs may require a GPA of up to 3.0.
- Students may study off-campus as early as the first semester of their sophomore year, and as late as the first semester of their senior year.
- Students applying to a program in a country where English is not the national language are encouraged to have taken at least elementary courses in the language of the host country; some programs will require intermediate to advanced language ability.
- Students on academic or disciplinary probation or suspension, or with other serious disciplinary violations, are not eligible for off-campus study.
- Students with delinquent financial accounts are not eligible for off-campus study.
- Consult the Office of Study Abroad for specific program eligibility requirements and openings.
- While abroad, students must be registered as a full-time student taking a minimum of 12 Washington & Jefferson College credits.
- Semesters abroad are not covered by tuition exchange and/or tuition remission (human resources benefits provided to students whose parents work at W&J or another college).
The application process to study off-campus is two-fold: students first apply to the Office of Study Abroad for permission to study off-campus; they then apply (through the Office of Study Abroad) for admission into a particular program. Students must submit both the W&J application and the relevant program application. Please visit the Office of Study Abroad, located at 005 The Commons, near the Ski Lodge, for all relevant application forms and materials.
Download the Application (.pdf)
Applications must be received in the Office of Study Abroad by the dates given below. Late applications will not be accepted. All applications will be reviewed immediately following the deadline.
- To study abroad for the fall term or full academic year, students must submit their W&J application by March 1; program applications are due by March 15.
- To study abroad for the spring term, students must submit their W&J application by October 1; program applications are due by October 15.
- Note: there is a petition process in place for students wishing to study on a program that is not on the list of approved programs; petitions are due one month prior to the regular study abroad deadlines of March 1 and October 1. Please email the Office of Study Abroad at StudyAbroad@washjeff.edu for information and detailed guidelines.A limited number of petitions will be approved each term.
Once the student receives permission from W&J to study off-campus, the Office of Study Abroad will submit the student's completed program application to the appropriate off-campus program. The off-campus program will typically then inform students directly of their admission into the program.
After issuing approval/acceptance, both the Office of Study Abroad and the off-campus program will require students to submit a number of forms to prepare for and finalize their semester(s) off-campus. Students should make sure to read carefully and understand all forms given to them, and to submit all requirements on or before stated deadlines. Failure to complete the requirements of either the Office of Study Abroad or the off-campus program may result in the withdrawal of the student's approval to study off-campus.